Mechanical Project Engineer
Bell & Associates
Bell & Associates is seeking a Mechanical Project Engineer.
Under the direction of some level of supervision by upper-level engineers, the Experienced Project Engineer designs all aspects of all thermal systems and process equipment meeting safety standards, project deadlines and project cost constraints to meet or exceed our customer’s needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review, interpret and document customer specifications, sales agreements, test data and other project related information prior to the “kick-off” meeting with the project team.
- Attend “kick-off” meeting with the project team to discuss project requirements highlighting critical design features, high risk areas, and/or areas of concern. Generate list of questions and/or missing information required to complete the design and manufacturing of the equipment.
- Attend “progress” meetings, including “kick-off” meeting, with manufacturing personnel prior to the start of assembly and “post job review” meeting with the project team after commissioning of the equipment.
- Responsible for information flow on projects, not necessarily performing all related tasks but delegating those tasks and ensuring completion of tasks.
- Manage the gathering of missing information from customer, vendors, etc., and document responses.
- Provide all aspects of the equipment design including necessary calculations, advance orders of long lead components, customer approval drawings, shop detail drawings for manufacturing using sound practical engineering principles and safety standards, while meeting project deadlines, estimated engineering hours and estimated equipment cost constraints. Review of complex tasks may be provided by upper level engineers.
- Based on skill set, may assign design tasks and oversee lower level engineers.
- Provide direction to and assist in training of lower level engineering hires as instructed.
- If required, travel to jobsite independently or with lower level engineers to measure and inspect installation location and/or existing equipment to be retrofit.
- Develop working relationships with manufacturing department to address and resolve issues to produce the highest quality products at the lowest possible cost.
- Act as technical resource for Sales, Applications, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and Field Service assisting in addressing and resolving questions and problems.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to address and resolve manufacturing, design and quality issues and ensure the continuous, on-going improvement of processes and methods.
- Review build progress of projects in manufacturing to ensure equipment is assembled in accordance with the engineered design intent and to check for assembly accuracy.
- Provide special equipment testing requirements to Quality Assurance in a clear and concise format.
- Review all test data with Quality Assurance to ensure equipment performs properly and to design and customer requirements.
- Compile input from upper level engineers, Sales, Manufacturing, and vendors and use this information to work with lower level engineers to write and maintain engineering design standards. This includes standard engineering drawings, standard engineering calculations and standard engineering practices for oven design and vendor design data.
- Review designs of lower level engineers to ensure design meets or exceeds customer needs while staying consistent with Company’s engineering standard practices.
- May participate in the interviewing process for all potential new hires and provide input in making final candidate selections.
- May assist in the annual coaching process for lower-level engineers to help manage their training and development. Ensure employees are performing up to their maximum potential and that goals are set appropriately for individual success.
- May assist upper-level engineers in determining engineering resource requirements to maintain budgeted business levels.
- Keep informed of new parts or methods to improve products or product designs.
- Remain technically competent, keep current in new developments within the industry and suggest ideas for new products.
- Responsible for facility cleanliness and maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
- Follow, comply, and enforce all safety and work-related rules, regulations and policies. Make recommendations regarding safe working methods.
- Promptly respond to inquiries to support individual, team and company success.
- Provide back-up for other positions in the department as assigned. Perform various duties as requested by management.
Essential Job Requirements
- Physical Requirements: Must be capable of long durations of sitting or standing while working. Ability to see colors is recommended but not required.
- Driving & Travel Requirements: Must maintain a valid state driver’s license, have access to reliable transportation and carry the state minimum required auto insurance. Must be able to travel occasionally. Willing to travel for sales technical support and trade shows. Must maintain an up-to-date passport.
- Customer Service and Communication: Must maintain confidentiality and use discretion with business and employee information. Must maintain an approachable demeaner at all times. Focus on clear, concise communication to clients, vendors, and peers. Professional, positive, and timely communication, both verbally and in writing is crucial to this role.
- Focus and Direction: Accepting of interruptions and able to refocus and stay on task. Must be able to take direction as well as instill a proactive, self-directed approach to ensure daily requirements are fulfilled and projects are completed in an efficient and timely manner. Must be able to handle multiple tasks at the same time, know how to prioritize in order of importance and meet overlapping deadlines without substituting quality or accuracy.
- Analytical Aptitude: The ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents such as customer and industry specifications, professional codes and standards, engineering drawings, policy manuals, safety rules and regulations, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively add notes and other pertinent information on drawings for customer approvals and manufacturing.
- Technology: Proficient with basic software and smartphone technology including email, internet, and calendaring applications and able to functionally use emerging technologies to support business needs. Proficient with MS Office applications such as Word and have advanced knowledge of Excel. Proficient with Solidworks 3D modeling plus a base familiarity with DraftSight 2D.
- Hours and Work Environment: Individual must meet or exceed job requirements and company expectations. Must be able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. Occasionally may work a flexible work schedule based on customer needs. Able to work additional hours as required to meet deadlines.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to mentor, coach, train and develop staff members with patience and understanding, providing clear and concise direction to assure successful learning and growth.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as dimensions, tolerances, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to provide direction and delegate effectively.
- Ability to independently resolve issues/problems with good judgment.
- Ability to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make clear, timely decisions that are in the best interest of the department and the organization. Possess the ability to see an issue or situation from different points of view.
- Ability to listen attentively, ask questions ensuring clear expectations, follow directions and provide prompt continuous follow-up.
- Ability to build relationships, good rapport and instill confidence. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with many personality types and adapt to varying environments, tasks, people and change in general.
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
- Punctual, highly organized, self-motivated, self-directed, confident self-starter willing to accept responsibility for results. Must be committed to excellence, accuracy in work and attention to details. Sets high goals and standards for self and others.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 3-5 years of related experience or 5-7 years of progressively responsible related experience or a combination of education and experience.
Want to share this job?
Click on one of the icons below to get started.