Bell & Associates
JOB TITLE: Utilities Supervisor DATE: 10/2023
REPORTS TO: Utilities Manager STATUS: Exempt
Responsible for planning, purchasing, organizing, coordinating, auditing the refrigeration, boiler, and wastewater daily task. Responsible for aiding in coordinating environmental control activities, including air, water, PSM processes and programs. Work with Parts inventory department to manage critical supplies needed for our operation. Leads the refrigeration, boiler operator and wastewater team to effectively maintain the ammonia system, HVAC systems, boiler equipment and wastewater while meeting safety, reliability, budget, environmental and quality goals.
DIMENSIONS: WORKING ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Use hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Walk for long periods of time.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Bend, twist, kneel, stoop, crouch or crawl.
- Repeat movements.
- See details of an object and see objects in very bright or glaring light.
- Finger dexterity to make quick and precise adjustments to controls.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand you.
- Hold the arm and hand in one position or hold hand steady while moving arm.
- Use fingers to grasp, move or assemble small objects.
- Focus on one source or sound, with various distractions and background noise. Hear sounds and recognize the difference between them.
- Lift, push and pull heavy objects. Ability to occasionally lift to 100lbs, and frequently 60 lbs.
- Keep or regain balance or stay upright when in and unstable position.
- Be physically active for long periods without getting tired or out of breath.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Responsible for supervising, coaching, training and performance review of refrigeration, boiler, and wastewater team to achieve maximum employee engagement.
- Lead and develop the refrigeration and boiler team to meet department goals in facility maintenance, assist in capital improvements and budget management.
- Ensure staff comply with Company standards, policies and procedures related to facility maintenance.
- Evaluate hazards within the Complex for environmental risks and implement new policies or procedures to mitigate identified hazards.
- Maintain and monitor expenses and ensure cost containment processes are in place.
- Advise management regarding the prevention and/or mitigation of environmental issues in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Work cooperatively with other Supervisors and department leads to develop daily and weekly operating priorities. Assign resources and track progress to ensure successful completion of these priorities.
- Prepare and supervise preventive maintenance (PM) schedules to maintain all systems under the refrigeration and boiler departments. This is to include performing PM audits and evaluations of PM’s
- Ensure that all OSHA and PSM standards are maintained in a timely and accurate manner by the instruction of PSM coordinator or manager.
- Train new and current personnel in proper operation of equipment and work toward RETA certification for all reports.
- Assist projects related to the plant ammonia system and high-pressure boilers.
- Identify and act upon incidents and safety risks. Consistently practices and enforces safe work habits and drives those habits throughout the organization.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a manufacturing environment, including previous supervisory experience in a diverse manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of five years’ ammonia refrigeration experience.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, including electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of ammonia refrigeration systems, high pressure boilers, process hazard analysis, and process safety management
- Knowledge of required environmental programs for air, water and land permitting.
- Knowledge of FDA and OSHA regulations, GMPs, Sanitation, and HACCP
- Knowledge of compliance with governmental agencies, including, but not limited to NDEQ, OSHA, FDA, and DOT.
- Skill in reading, analyzing, and conveying budget and maintenance reports.
- Skill in using a computer and a variety of software, including Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Skill in communicating in a professional manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Skill in managing multiple priorities and delegating as needed.
- Ability to interpret P&ID’s specifications and schematics.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to build relationships and motivate teams.
- Ability to be a good representative of the Company and always display the highest levels of ethical behavior and integrity.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize department goals and objectives effectively
- RETA Certified Industrial Refrigeration Operator (CIRO) is preferred but not mandatory.
Want to share this job?
Click on one of the icons below to get started.