Change in the Workplace
By: Mary Gill, Operations Assistant @ Bell & Associates, Inc.
“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”
― Albert Einstein
Change is difficult for everyone. Change is inevitable. Most people fear change, yet it happens daily. Change in the workplace can be tough, but we need to embrace it and alter our thinking to make it a more positive experience. Here are a few ways to make change in the workplace more palatable.
- Embrace it! Get excited! Regardless of what is changing, you can get on board and be the positive difference for everyone. Change is opportunity. Know what’s changing and encourage everyone to be happy about it. Keep positive and do your work and it will influence others around you to do the same.
- Be the change! Take action! When something is changing at work, then go ahead and take the opportunity to change yourself as well. Do some additional training or schooling. Get a group of colleagues together and volunteer as a company. Set up a company event. There are many ways to change yourself and impact the others around you. This can reduce the stress and anxiety that change can bring.
- Seek Support! Rely on others! No one gets through life alone. It’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed if the change you’re facing is really big, or there’s too much change happening all at once. Talk to your colleagues, friends, and family about it. Chances are they’ve been through something similar and they may be able to lend some advice.
- Know what is changing! Educate yourself and know exactly what is changing and how this will impact you and the others around you. Communicate with your colleagues and boss and be educated in your decisions. Do your research. Ask questions. Knowledge is power!
- Know when it’s time to go! If this change is something that is going to impact your job/life in a negative way, have the courage and insight to know when it’s time to go. Not all change is positive, and we need to be smart and know when it’s time to find a new role. It’s not helping anyone if you stay in a situation that is unhealthy.
If it is time for a change of company/role, be smart and find a trained professional recruiter who can help you in your transition. Bell & Associates is always here for those changes in life and we can help make your transition a positive experience!